Position Title: President & Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: Board of Directors
United Way of Pioneer Valley has been serving the Pioneer Valley for over 90 years. United Way of Pioneer Valley supports organizations, meeting the needs of the most vulnerable individuals and families in the community. The organization has provided philanthropic links from local business to the nonprofit community through volunteerism and financial investment. United Way of Pioneer Valley connects all segments of the community toward achieving the goal of producing healthy, well-educated and economically stable individuals and families. United Way of Pioneer Valley accomplishes their work through community engagement, community development, and capacity building. It is a dynamic geographic area that boasts multiple centers of higher education, high-quality health care, and dynamic arts and entertainment scenes combined with stunning natural beauty. At the same time, the needs in the region are acute – and often diverse from one county to the next
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The President/CEO is responsible for carrying out the mission, priorities and the policies of the Community United Way as identified through its Board of Directors. The President ensures that the agency meets its operational and resource development goals, through strategic management and daily operational oversight of staff, volunteers, programs, and fundraising efforts. In these capacities, the President is the primary representative of the agency to a broad base of community constituents including donors, recipients of services, health and social service agencies, various levels of government, all types and sizes of private sector business institutions, and individual citizens. This position also has responsibility for developing and maintaining positive relationships with community and business leaders, donors and residents while maintaining a positive United Way community image.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND SPECIFIC DUTIES:
Key responsibilities of the organization include establishing organizational plans, policies, and procedures as needed for effective operations and resource development of the United Way with assistance from staff and volunteer committees. These priorities include hiring competent, effective personnel and providing support for their professional development while demonstrating the organization’s commitment to full minority inclusion.
The scope of relationships for the position of President is extensive. The President is required to establish and maintain significant positive relationships within a broad constituency. That constituency includes members of the agency staff, corporate chief executive officers, labor representatives, health and human service agency personnel, government representatives, staff from other United Way organizations (both local and national), and all other representatives involved in improving the community-at-large with a key focus on building relationships with prospective and current donors within these constituencies. The President is expected to be a community leader in the area served by the Community United Way.
- Minimum of a BA/BS degree from an accredited institution of higher education, advanced degree preferred.
- Five years of experience in both significant managerial/supervisory capacity, preferably with a United Way or other nonprofit organization and in a senior resource development role, with a record of successful fundraising.
- CFRE designation preferred.
- Excellent managerial, organizational and strategic thinking skills, with a demonstrated creative thinking and tactical execution skills to produce outstanding fundraising and operational results.
- Must be able to provide leadership and supervision in a broad range of activities related to nonprofit institutional management and community improvement.
- Superb oral and writing communication skills, comprehensive knowledge of nonprofit financial management, and a passion for the United Way’s mission and vision is also required.
- Knowledge of the Western MA community a plus.